Why Is There A Menopause Awareness Month?
Approximately 6,000 women in the United States enter the twisting turning journey called menopause each day. And most of them have no idea what to expect. Menopause Awareness Month draws attention to the fact that there are still…
So many questions.
So much confusion.
So much fear.
And, so much needless suffering.
As a result of these concerns, the mission of my work is to provide valuable information and take the mystery out of menopause (and perimenopause). I know for sure that knowledge is power and the land of confusion is not a fun place to be! We owe it to ourselves to learn to be our own healthcare advocates and to take greater responsibility for managing our health, physically, mentally, and emotionally.
How To Navigate The Menopause Transition
There is an overwhelming amount of information and conflicting data surrounding the efficacy and safety of treatments for menopause symptoms. A couple of years ago, a woman let me have a cyber-earful for what she perceived as my promotion of a therapeutic option (progesterone) that she believes causes cancer. This woman is an OB-GYN nurse and a breast cancer survivor and even she is clearly confused about the data and the facts.
As a healthcare provider, this woman is out there sharing information with patients that is just wrong. The exchange I had with her clearly illustrates the need for getting the facts straight! There is not ONE shred of evidence to support that progesterone has anything to do with cancer. Conversely, it’s been shown to have a protective effect. This is just ONE of the many myths that are circulating that cause fear and angst. You can read more about the facts on progesterone here.
Tips To Become A Savvy Menopause Consumer
We all need to become savvier consumers to know what benefits (or harms) us, and how we can achieve optimal health before, during, and after menopause. In the spirit of education and advocacy, I’ve listed a few recommended resources below to add to your toolbox.
Remember, YOU know your body better than anyone and you are your own best advocate when it comes to making healthcare choices. Make it your business to learn all you can about your body, how it works and what your options are when it comes to managing menopause.
Remember, you are NOT alone.
And if you need help, please feel free to reach out to me. I am happy to answer questions! If you’d like to dig deeper, my team and I offer hormone testing and balancing using an approach that’s based on lifestyle, supplements, and mindset work instead of pharmaceuticals.
Here are some resources I trust that I’d like to share with you.
Menopause and Perimenopause Related Resources
- Dr. Anna Garrett: My blog, resources, and products for women who want help and support through their menopause journey. It’s all about maximizing your mojo! Remember, suffering is optional, ladies! Let’s talk.
- Menopause Awareness Month: Where you can find more resources, blogs, recommendations, and information on menopause.
- The North American Menopause Society: (NAMS): While I don’t always agree withNAMS’ official positions on menopause and menopause treatment, it is an excellent site for general information on menopause. If you’re into research (like me), there are always links to academic publications and recent research on the site.
- WebMD Menopause Center: One of my all-around go-to sites for everything health. Their menopause center provides good, solid, unvarnished medical information on menopause.
- Hormone Harmony Club: This is my free, private Facebook group for women who want to chat about menopause and all the mind, body, and spirit issues it brings up. All are welcome!
- The Savvy Sisterhood: This is my paid membership group. It includes much more interaction with me, monthly Q&A calls, expert Savvy Sister Deep Dive calls, access to my brand new Hormone Harmony course, and discounts on 1:1 work with me. We open the doors 3-4 times a year…next in December. Join the waitlist here: www.drannagarrett.com/waitlist
Menopause Books…all can be found on Amazon or ordered from your local bookseller
- Perimenopause: The Savvy Sister’s Guide to Hormone Harmony by Dr. Anna Garrett. www.drannagarrett.com/perimenopause-book
- Beyond the Pill; Dr. Jolene Brighten
- The Hormone Cure; Dr. Sara Gottfried
- Mokita; Shirley Weir
There are MANY resources and groups for perimenopause and menopause. The ones I have listed above tend to be more educational and have been vetted by me. But remember, one person’s experience and remedy that works may be different than what you need. It’s up to you to do your due diligence about the advice you are given.
And as a reminder, always remember…you are not too young, you are not alone, and you’ve totally got this!
Dr. Anna Garrett is a menopause expert and Doctor of Pharmacy. She helps women who are struggling with symptoms of perimenopause and menopause find natural hormone balancing solutions so they can rock their mojo through midlife and beyond. Dr. Anna is the author of Perimenopause: The Savvy Sister’s Guide to Hormone Harmony. Order your copy at www.perimenopausebook.com.
Dr. Anna is available for 1-1 consultation. Find out more at www.drannagarrett.com/lets-talk