04 Sep 2019
Welcome to Menopause Awareness Month
September is Menopause Awareness Month. I remember when I first wrote about this topic a few years ago. I chuckled to myself and thought, “As if any woman who’s in the thick of it needs to have her awareness raised. Who is this for????”
But then I realized there are PLENTY of women who actually do need to have their knowledge up-leveled, so I wrote a book! Who are they? The ones who have perimenopause coming, but aren’t quite there yet! Perimenopause is sneaky and can show up when least expected. The subtle changes it brings look like a lot of other conditions, so it’s easy to miss the signs or think that you’re too young.September is Menopause Awareness Month. #menopause #perimenopause #hormoneimbalance #hormonereplacement #estrogen #progesterone #DrAnnaGarrett #AnnaGarrettAsheville Click To Tweet
There are at least 34 symptoms of perimenopause and menopause. And many of them can be confused with other hormone imbalances like hypothyroidism or adrenal imbalance. There is an overwhelming amount of conflicting information about how to manage all of this. In fact, this past week a woman let me have a cyber-earful for what she perceived as my promotion of a therapeutic option (progesterone) that she believes causes cancer. This woman is an OB-GYN nurse and a breast cancer survivor and yet she is clearly confused about the data and the facts. You can read more about current hormone recommendations here.
A member of the Hormone Harmony Club was scolded by her physician for using progesterone and testosterone because “they cause blood clots and cancer.” This is untrue. And extremely unhelpful for this woman who now has no idea where to turn! You can read more about progesterone and cancer risk here.
We have healthcare providers who are sharing information with patients that is just wrong. We all need to become savvier consumers to know what benefits (or harms) us, and how we can achieve optimal health before, during, and after menopause. Remember, YOU know your body better than anyone and you are your own best advocate when it comes to making healthcare choices. Knowledge is power, so make it your business to learn all you can about your body, how it works, and what your options are when it comes to managing perimenopause and menopause. Click here to learn more about how to work more effectively with your healthcare provider.
If you are past menopause or in the middle of it with all the awareness you can possibly stand, I need you to do me a favor. Be like my friend, Marella. She looked around her neighborhood for younger women. And bought 4 copies of my book to share with them. If we, as women who have already been there, take the time to share our stories and have a conversation about what’s coming, can potentially save a lot of younger women a ton of anxiety and worry.
If you need help, please feel free to reach out to me. I am happy to answer questions! I also offer customized hormone testing and balancing using an approach that’s based in lifestyle, supplements, and mindset work instead of pharmaceuticals.
If you’re looking for reliable resources, here’s a list that I trust:
- Dr. Anna Garrett: My blog, resources, and products for women who want help and support through their menopause journey. It’s all about maximizing your mojo!
- The North American Menopause Society (NAMS): While I don’t always agree with NAMS’ official positions on menopause and menopause treatment, it is an excellent sight for general information on menopause. If you’re into research (like me), there are always links to academic publications and recent research on the site.
- Menopause Chicks: My friend Shirley Weir is cracking open the conversation on menopause here!
- WebMD Menopause Center: One of my all around go-to sites for everything health. Their menopause center provides good, solid, unvarnished medical information on menopause.
- Dr. Sara Gottfried: Dr. Sara’s mission at The Gottfried Institute – and in life – is to help women feel sexy, vital, and balanced from their cells to their souls.
- Hormone Harmony Club (this is a private group)
- Menopause Chicks PRIVATE group
- Estrogen Dominance Support Group (this is a private group)
There are MANY groups for perimenopause and menopause. The ones I have listed tend to be more educational and less bitch-fest. And always remember… you are not too young, you are not alone, and you’ve totally got this!
Dr. Anna Garrett is a menopause expert and Doctor of Pharmacy. She helps women who are struggling with symptoms of perimenopause and menopause find natural hormone balancing solutions so they can rock their mojo through midlife and beyond. Dr. Anna is the author of Perimenopause: The Savvy Sister’s Guide to Hormone Harmony. Order your copy at www.perimenopausebook.com.
Dr. Anna is available for 1-1 consultations. Find out more at www.drannagarrett.com/lets-