06 Sep 2018
Are You a Savvy Sister when it Comes to Perimenopause?
September is Menopause Awareness Month. Approximately 6,000 women in the United States enter this sometimes-bewildering transition every day. About 20% of us will skate through this time with hardly a hot flash. But the other 80%? You may be shaking your heads wondering why we need a month for increased awareness when it seems like the signs never let up!
There is an overwhelming amount of conflicting data surrounding the efficacy and safety of “treatments” for perimenopause symptoms.
In fact, this past week a woman let me have a virtual earful for what she perceived as my promotion of a therapeutic option (progesterone) that she believes causes cancer. This woman is an OB-GYN nurse and a breast cancer survivor and yet she is clearly confused about the data and the facts. The truth of this is that synthetic progestins HAVE been associated with breast cancer. But progestins and PROGESTERONE are not the same thing and have very different risks and side effect profiles. Progesterone has never been associated with cancer. You can read more about that here.
This woman is part of the healthcare community and is out there sharing information with patients that is just wrong. The interchange I had with her clearly illustrates the need for getting the facts straight!
Here’s another example.
I recently ran across a naturopath’s web site and noticed that he is promoting supplements to “turn the body’s progesterone production back on”. The truth of this myth? If you are in perimenopause or menopause that hormone is not coming back. The ship has sailed. There is no way to turn it back on if you are not ovulating, no matter what you do. Any wonder there are so many confused women???
The menopause transition is not a disease that needs to be “treated”, but there are ways to help manage hormone imbalance symptoms. I believe it’s essential to provide ACCURATE information and tips on how to manage perimenopause, menopause and overall wellness because knowledge is power, and being constantly in a state of confusion is exhausting, scary and leads to poor decision making when it comes to your health.
Women need to become savvier consumers to know what benefits (or harms) us, and how we can achieve optimal health before, during and beyond menopause. Remember, YOU know your body better than anyone and you are your own best advocate when it comes to making healthcare choices. Make it your business to learn all you can about your body, how it works and what your options are when it comes to managing perimenopause and beyond.
I’ve been working with women on hormone balancing for almost 7 years and it’s gratifying to see that there are more and more of us talking about perimenopause and menopause, but there’s still work to be done. Part of my mission in my business is to keep the conversations going and to encourage women to be their own healthcare advocates and to take greater responsibility for managing their health, physically, mentally and emotionally. If you’re confused and want to become a savvy sister, come join us in the free Hormone Harmony Club on Facebook or schedule a specially-priced consultation with me here.